Red Lentil Coconut Curry
This is a tasty and warming dish, especially for these early fall days! It is gluten-free, vegan friendly, and a great treat for the whole family. It is mild in spice, and you can adjust the spicy-ness to fit your taste buds! Give this one a try, it is quick and easy!
I use this recipe as a great meal prepping tool. If you saw my instagram the other day, you'll notice this dish in the picture! It easy for me to make, but it also freezes very well. I will usually freeze some of the curry, and when I'm pressed for time at home, quickly whip up some rice or quinoa, and heat it up! Voila! Dinner is served!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper (more if you want to make it spicier)
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped, OR 1.5 cups of chopped green beans (into 1 inch long slices)
- 1-2 tbsp of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 0.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1 can of coconut milk (this is creamier than the milk found in a carton)
- 2 cups of water
- 1.5 cups dry red lentils
- Handful of cilantro sprigs for serving (optional)
Serve with 1 cup of cooked rice, millet, or quinoa (Visit HERE to learn how to cook these grains on the stove)
1. In a large sauce pan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic for about 5-8 minutes. You want to release the aromas and allow onion to turn a light golden colour.
2. Add in ginger, jalapeño, and sauté for aneth 2-4 minutes
3. Add in cumin, turmeric, sea salt, and coriander. Mix in for 1 minute
4. Add water, can of coconut milk, and lentils to mixture. Stir and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes, add in your green vegetable (zucchini or green beans work well here). Allow mixture to cook for another 5 minutes
6. Add curry mixture to your cooked grains, top with some cilantro, serve and enjoy!!
NOTE: Serves 4-6. Lasts 4-5 days in the fridge, but also freezes very well. Do not freeze grains, just curry portion. Cook grains fresh when you're ready to reheat this dish from the freezer!